Homology Medicines, Inc. (HMI) has built foundational intellectual property on gene editing and gene therapy vectors derived from naturally occurring human adeno-associated viruses (AAVs). The Company’s technology is precise, on-target and highly efficient for in vivo editing of genetic mutations. This transformative platform technology, combined with an elite leadership team of biopharmaceutical industry veterans, create a significant opportunity for HMI to rapidly advance a diverse pipeline of new medicines that address and potentially cure the underlying cause of genetic diseases.
Join HMI’s high performing team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy and gene editing approaches. We seek candidates with proven ability to successfully work independently and collaboratively to achieve optimized project plans, with the ultimate goal to deliver products that transform the lives of patients.
Homology Medicines is seeking a Research Scientist level to join our Molecular Genomics and Molecular Biology team. The person will be responsible for implementing HMI’s efforts developing genetic therapeutic strategies. The person will be a part of a fundamentally important core capability crucial for the company’s long-term strategy and success. Â The ideal candidate has a high level of experience in directing innovative approaches to for molecular genomic evaluation of novel genetic therapies. A proven track record of leveraging and integrating genomics and gene expression as well as high throughput functional approaches to identify and advance high value targets into drug discovery is required.
About the role:
The Scientist will be involved in all aspects of target discovery and validation, including but not limited to strategy development and planning, tool development and execution of individual projects. In collaboration with scientific leaders, the candidate will cooperate with the group to accomplish goals, and activities.
Main goals are to develop, optimize and implement:
- Molecular genomic assays to evaluate genome-wide editing
- Allele quantitation
- Single cell genomics
- Off target and on target analyses
- Gene expression
- Vector design
- Expression cassette designs
- Sequencing of complex virus genomes
- Discovery of Novel Editing Tools
The ideal candidate must be exceedingly well organized, highly motivated, have outstanding interpersonal skills and be extremely flexible. The candidate should be recognized by their colleagues for her/his high degree of innovation and quality of science. The candidate must also bring a high level of enthusiasm for working in a fast paced environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates as a key member of the scientific genomics team in defining the scientific strategy for gene therapy approaches, especially in regards to leveraging internal and public structural and functional genomics data to develop novel breakthrough therapeutics.
- Using systems biology to generate actionable hypotheses in rare diseases.
- Developing novel cutting edge molecular genomic technologies for genetic medicines.
- Analysis and interpretation of genome-scale data using custom and off-the-shelf methodologies.
- Works with in the design, development and deployment of innovative bioinformatics and genomic analysis that will aid scientists in the company to evaluate genetic strategies.
- Assists in developing and maintaining expertise in state-of-the-art molecular biology tools and methods that facilitate molecular analyses and validation.
- Ph.D. (preferred) in Molecular Biology, Genomics or related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in AAV platforms / Gene Therapy / Gene Editing environment, preferably with a proven track record in genomic application and analysis.
- Experience working on genetic diseases are preferred.
- Experience working with large scale structural and functional genomic datasets to make biological insights.
- Hands-on expertise with state of the art validation methods including RNAi, homologous recombination.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to accommodate to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and Resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.